[DXLog.net - Support] Some comments after ARRL 10m

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Mon Dec 16 14:40:58 CET 2013

I used DXLog.net (v2.0.21) this weekend in the ARRL 10m contest and had
a few issues.

First the good. I particularly liked how DXL worked during the contest
with everything easy to drive. I particularly praise its effective use
of display screen area and during the contest I actually wondered what
other windows I could open to fill the unused space. I find N1MM always
has a problem to fit everything you want in, DXL is so far better in
this respect. The states/provinces check window sorted by call prefixes
is quite neat (pity I never heard any XE stations to check off the
bottom two rows...).

Glitches... As previously reported, I found the Omnirig interface I am
using with my K2 does not initialise properly at program start and I
had to manually re-enable via the configuration menu. Nearly got caught
out by this early Sunday morning.. Other than that the rig interface
worked perfectly.

On one occasion the sent serial number in the entry window got
corrupted for some reason - on my QSO 275 (as displayed correctly at
the left) I noticed mid QSO that the one shown in the sent field had
changed to 249, not clear why, but I had already started to send the
wrong serial to the chap and had to correct.. Edited in the cabrillo at
the end as there was no way to edit it live.

After the contest I duly exported my Cabrillo and ADIF files. I saw in
the Cabrillo that it had POST-padded all the sent serials to four
digits, ie my first QSO was shown as 1000, 2000 etc. Obviously meant to
be PRE-padding.. There was no padding at all on the received serials,
not sure if there is meant to be. The line LOCATION:  DX required by
the robot was missing as well. Quite a lot of editing in Notepad to
sort this out, but now done.

I notice that the exported ADIF does not contain the received serials
and states, although it has the sent serials.

With all this sorted the log has now been submitted and accepted by the
robot, I hope there are not any more gremlins. I remain a bit
disillusioned with the program but realise it is still early days.
Having just heard that a fairly significant glitch has been reported in
SD maybe I don't feel so bad.... Thanks for all your work.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com