[DXLog.net - Support] Suggestion: remove ++/-- from default CW messages to help RBN/CW Skimmer work better

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Sep 11 19:27:08 CEST 2013

Through post-contest analysis, I have discovered that CW Skimmer and
SkimSrv, which feed the Reverse Beacon Network<http://www.reversebeacon.net>,
will spot stations *much* more often if they send CW at a *constant speed*.

If you want to be spotted by these networks more often during contests, do *
not* use "++/--" to speed up and slow down in the middle of messages.

Of course any DXLog user can easily edit all the .TXT files to change the
defaults, but I think it would be best if DXLog.net defaulted to
*not*using ++/-- in any default messages, to help all those who are
less aware
of this issue.  Others who think that it is more important to save a few
milliseconds than to be spotted often can still use them whenever they want.

Maybe a good compromise would be to leave ++/-- in S&P messages, but not in
RUN messages (because the RBN posts spots of CQers, but not S&P stations,
when it is working right).

73,
Bob, N6TV