[DXLog.net - Support] Narrow CW filter with spots

Ulf Schneider uschneid at posteo.de
Tue May 6 13:15:55 CEST 2014

Hi Victor,

Am 06.05.2014 12:12 schrieb yr at sibmail.com:
> I've noticed that when I am in CW (Icom-746) with Narrow filter
> selected
> and click some spot in bandmap - radio filter became Wide.

 From what I remember this is a normal for Icom in general or at least
older radios. Years ago I've used to use Icom-765 and IC-775 in contests
and with Win-Test I had the very same behaviour. This is because the
Icom CI-V protocol is not very sophisticated. When the radio gets a
frequency information, it just switches to its default filter band width
for the mode and this is unfortunately "WIDE". A similar problem is to
load the VFO B with a frequency from the DX spots or bandmap, while
you're CQing on VFO A. The CI-V has no differentiation for VFO A and VFO
B. I don't know if this is true for newer models.

The only way to avoid this would be grabbing the actual filter band
width first, then send the frequency information and afterwards the
prior grabbed filter band width.

Today I use a Kenwood TS-590S and this radio just keeps the filter band
width as long as it gets a different band width command.

73
Ulf DK5TX