[DXLog.net - Support] My first experience with DxLog

Tomas OK4BX (reflectors) konf at bxmail.org
Wed Sep 24 22:24:18 CEST 2014

Hello,

I would like share with you my very first experience during contest with
DxLog. It was SAC CW and plan was connect Winkeyer2
http://k1el.tripod.com/WK2Serial.html and gave couple points as S&P.  No
radio connection for this time.

First of all, I had much difficulties made WinKeyer alive. I have used
another logging programs like Writelog, TR4W, N1MM  before and it worked
for first time there. Not made it easier, that I had set up RS232
parameters by myself. All other programs have it fixed internally. So I
googled 1200,8,n,2 DTR=ON, RTS=OFF. IMHO,it would be nice, if DxLog would
set that parameters as default when “Winkey” device is selected..
Unfortunately, Winkeyer did not work either. Tried Winkeyer test
application and there worked all fine.

Spent some more time with trying and finally had success, when I switched
internal battery (parallel to DTR line) during init phase, then switched it
off and worked winkeyer fine for rest of time. For your information, I used
serial version of WK2 with Prolific USB-RS232 adapter. Seems to me, like
there is loss of power from DTR line during initialization. Still want ask
if DxLog can read speed from WK2 potentiometer? It is common in Writelog or
TR4W.

What I like in Writelog you can wipe entry fields with Alt-W or
Ctrl-BackSpace. I think, it is handy, because you can use left or right
hand for this quite often used command. At least, I tried re-map Alt-W
-->Ctrl-BackSpace, but it did not work. It focused only some toolbar popup
menu..

I made qsos and read documentation and kept looking around all settings ,
but did not find any window with data from cty.dat about callsign in entry
field, like country name, sunset/sunrise there, distance, etc..  I was
thinking, it would be also neat to show red dot in Worldmap up on
recognized cty.dat coordinates on just qso in entry fields..

Btw any workaround to use F8-F10 for macro messages? IMHO, too “attractive”
keys to switch windows on/off :)

That are few ideas of someone who can be called “small pistol” and is there
to give pts to serious contesters. Anyway, great looking program and it is
big candidate to become my most favorite logging software :)

73,

Tomas, ok4bx - web.bxhome.org