[DXLog.net - Support] Strange spots from 3V/KF5EVY

Fabian Kurz fabian at fkurz.net
Thu Apr 27 09:36:17 CEST 2017

Hi Mats,

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:10:47AM +0300, Mats Strandberg wrote:
> Anyone experiencing strange spots from one of RBN skimmers, namely
> 3V/KF5EVY?
>
> This skimmer adds a digit in front of the callsigns.  It means that the
> cluster inside DXlog is always showing double spots for each call which is
> spotted by 3V/KF5EVY.  Also, when clicking on his spots, the call sign does
> not appear in the log, but only that didgit in front.
>
> I contacted Ash and asked him what is going on... According to him, nothing
> is changed from the output of the skimmer. Also N4ZC, Pete, is involved in
> the discussion.
>
> Anyone else that it experiencing this problem the last few days??  A week
> ago, all his spots were ok (like all other spots).  Anyone that has the
> same problem with Win-Test, N1MM or other software - or is this related to
> some issue with DXlog?

I think the answer is quite simple; stumbled over this the other day when
I saw weird spots on my own RBN cluster (https://foc.dj1yfk.de/):

Most programs simply cut out the callsign from the spot line starting at
character #27. Since 3V/KF5EYY is pretty long, the spots are formatted
like this:

DX de SM6FMB-#:   7011.3  DK7JI          CW    11 dB  17 WPM  CQ      0731Z
DX de 3V/KF5EYY-#:  14022.5  RT3LA          CW    34 dB  28 WPM  CQ      0731Z
DX de HA1VHF-#: 70030.10  HG7BVC         CW     6 dB  16 WPM  DX      0731Z

Most parsers will now produce the callsign 5RT3LA (or 5  RT3LA) from the
3V/KF5EYY spot, depending on how they are implemented.

73
Fabian, DJ1YFK

--
Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK      Munich, Germany
fabian at fkurz.net         Go Vegan!