[DXLog.net - Support] New User on board

John Warburton G4IRN qrz at dxdx.co.uk
Thu Oct 17 10:57:25 CEST 2013

Hi

As a long time Win-Test user, I've recently come across  DXLog and
thought I'd drop a note to the reflector to give my initial thoughts on
the product and make some (constructive, I hope!) suggestions for going
forward.

Firstly - a great effort! I'm sure lots of time has been put into
developing this for the benefit of other hams. Many thanks to Chris and
the team.

Win-Test, in my mind, was definitely the best contest logging software
available for some time. However given the lack of development progress,
it doesn't shine like it used to. There is certainly room in the market
for another product to take the initiative and progress forward.

One of DXLog's best features appears to be the contest templates; this
certainly addresses many of the complaints that Win-Test used to get.
Here in the UK we have a monthly RSGB data modes contest that uses RTTY
and PSK modes - something that the Win-Test guys always refused to
develop - it's great to see the MMVARI interface included!

 From a personal point of view for my DXpeditioning and Voodoo Contest
Group involvement, features that I would like to see included in DXLog
are the Quick QSL Counter, custom variables, user profiles (log on to
recover your own keyboard configuration) and a mult-passing feature (I
have some ideas around this which I'd be happy to go through). There is
also a discussion within the GR2HQ team (IARU contest team), from which
I think a coordinated request for features will come.

 From a potential user perspective, it would be  useful to understand
the vision and strategy you have for the product. For instance, are you
planning on incorporating many more features and what sort of features
will be either accept or reject?  I'm sure people are calling out ideas
from all directions (like me!) and there is a danger here that DXLog
will become too complex and/or change too quickly - frequent change
brings instability and will lose user confidence. An enhancement roadmap
would be good for the development team and to set expectations to the
user community.

And finally, don't feel that you should make it look and feel exactly
like Win-Test - IMHO, whilst you should retain the compatibility with
CT, you can develop DXLog to have its own character. The Win-Test guys
did a great job but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

73 John G4IRN.